It’s definitely true when taking on the role of a chapter president. All of our presidents commit to a three year term – one year of preparation as president elect, where you get to shadow the president and learn what the role involves, a year in the president role, when you’re running the ship and helping steer its course, and a third year as past president, acting in an advisory capacity.
It’s a process that enables early succession planning, a level of consistency, and a lot of support.
As I wrap up my term as President of IABC/San Diego, I want to thank my support system. It’s been busy, crazy at times, but the board has worked with me to achieve some great things for the chapter.
I’m really proud of all that we’ve accomplished. Some of highlights include:
- Launching a new website and newsletter design
- Partnering with United Way to hold our first Gift of Communication event to assist non-profits
- Launching our Communicator of the Year award program and naming our first winner
- Establishing a Student Chapter at USD, growing our student membership and hosting four on campus events
- Launching two Special Interest Groups for independent and internal communicators and facilitating five meet-ups
- Kicking off a new webinar program to showcase members and hosting five webinars
- Organizing five professional development events
- Hosting six Dine Arounds and our first Brewhaha event
- Introducing our sponsorship and mentorship programs
We hope you’ve seen the value of these new initiatives, and there’s more to come. Our incoming President Melissa Eckmann has lots of ideas, and I know she will do a fantastic job.
Keep your eyes on our social media pages and website for news of upcoming events.
In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has made this year such a fantastic experience for me. IABC/San Diego is a great team to be part of!
President, IABC/San Diego